|Remove||Item||Quantity × Price|
|Your cart is empty|
First of all, what is castile soap?
Castile soap is a nourishing vitamin-rich soap that will leave your skin squeaky clean and naturally hydrated!
“Castile feels different. It feels like real soap. Because, quite simply, it is.”
If you’re an eco-conscious consumer you’ll love its versatility and many uses around the house, from lathering up in the shower to cleaning your windows, without the toxic chemicals. I’ve introduced it to the I Am Natural range as a vegan hand & body wash as I love how it moisturises mature skin whilst being an antibacterial, antifungal & antioxidant cleanser.
Castile soap is made from vegetable oils, traditionally olive oil but these days can be made with any good quality oil such as sunflower oil, coconut, castor, hemp, avocado, walnut and almond oil. As you can imagine these oils give the soap its superior lathering, moisturizing, and cleansing properties.
Why is it called ‘castile’?
Castile soap has a long and revered history, possibly originating in Ancient Egypt when soaps were specially created from plant oils to meet the demands of the beautiful Cleopatra. Only the best for the Queen of Egypt! After the Crusades, these plant soaps made their way to Europe and to the Castile region of Spain. This area became so famous for its olive oil version of the soap that the region became synonymous with the product and these days refers to the type of soap, rather than where it is made.
How is it made?
To make any type of soap a traditional process called saponification takes place. This involves taking a fatty oil, like coconut and mixing it with lye (also known as caustic soda, or sodium hydroxide), which react together to create soap and glycerin. Don’t worry there’s no lye left in the soap after the process! The special thing about castile soap is that it keeps the moisturising and nourishing nutrients from the fatty oils (eg. coconut) used during saponification. In addition to that, glycerin is produced which is a natural humectant, so all the moisture from the soap and water when you use it is locked into your skin. You can wash your hands over and over and your skin won’t ever dry out!
What is I Am Natural castile soap made of?
Take a moment to hold a bottle of I Am Natural castile soap up to the light. Just look at that golden colour, only mother nature could be responsible for making such a glorious soap!
Our cruelty-free castile hand & body washes are made from organic sunflower oil and organic coconut oil which means they are:
- Naturally high in vitamin E
- Incredibly gentle for all skin types
- free from all harsh chemicals, toxic preservatives, and synthetic colours.
- Contains no animal ingredients
- 100% vegan
- Not tested on animals
- Free from palm oil!
I have blended pure organic essential oils in your new organic body washes. I make these soap blends by hand in small batches so there may be variations in colour and scent, which may become stronger with time.
Please note this soap is a real liquid soap, not a detergent so it’s super soft on the skin. Plain castile liquid soap without essential oils tends to be thin and watery, don’t worry it hasn’t been diluted! It just feels that way since it’s free from the fillers in other soaps. Adding essential oils or salt can thicken your liquid soap if you prefer it to be thicker. Organic Castile Hand & Body Washes from I Am Natural are pre-blended with essential oils and are lovely and thick, just waiting for you to use them!
How safe is castile soap?
Your skin is amazing! It’s ingeniously designed with a natural protective barrier to keep you healthy but continual exposure to harsh detergents will lead to dryness, roughness and irritation.
Many hand & body wash products are not real soaps, they are synthetic detergents, and many are loaded up with fillers and additives, artificial perfumes and colours. Some are really harsh on your skin (as cleaners they work too well!) and strip away your natural oils as well as the intended dirt and germs. Adding synthetic moisturisers to detergent-based cleansers can lessen the drying effect on your skin in the short term, but your skin can’t combat detergents forever. It’s also quite common for skincare detergents to be loaded up with synthetic dyes and fragrances, which can also irritate your skin. Enough!
Stop washing your dishes and your hands with the same unnatural product. Your skin needs to be cleansed with a natural product, not a synthetic one. I Am Natural castile soap is made with safe natural ingredients using simple traditional saponification methods. It’s biodegradable and nontoxic, so it’s also safe to use on pets and around kids. You can even clean vegetables with it, just dilute it first! (Trust me, it doesn’t taste great!).
Castile for safe hand washing
Since March 2020 and the emergence of covid-19 we’ve all got used to washing our hands frequently throughout the day. You might have noticed your hands becoming dry, and with the additional use of alcohol-based sanitisers your skin may have become very irritated. Using these harsh detergents has definitely been the cause of numerous eczema flare-ups on my son’s hands.
To keep safe the NHS recommends “washing your hands with soap and water”. That’s right. Soap. Not ‘heavily fragranced moisture-stripping detergent’ or ‘harsh antibacterial liquid surfactants’. Good old-fashioned soap.
Organic castile liquid hand & body wash from I Am Natural is a great choice if you prefer washing your hands with a liquid instead of a bar, or for when you’re out and about and carrying a bar of soap just isn’t practical. It’s reassuring to know that repeated washing with castile liquid soap won’t dry out your hands, thanks to the amazing natural ingredients that moisturise and nourish your skin. Just decant a little liquid soap into a 50ml bottle and away you go!
Soap vs detergents?
Traditional soap and modern detergents are both designed to clean but come from different sources and are used differently. While soap has been around for centuries, detergents (or synthetic soaps) have only been with us since the 1940’s and were born out of a shortage of fats and oils during WWII.
Modern detergents are useful, especially in shampoo. The detergents I use are mild, SLS & paraben free, soft and gentle on the skin & scalp, and rinse easily from your hair. These are perfect properties for hair care products, which is why you love I Am Natural shampoo. However, I can’t think of anything more natural that beats organic liquid castile for a shower and body wash.
Why your skin will love castile!
Organic liquid castile soap is a traditional soap - tried, tested and proven effective over centuries of use. It’s been loved by generations of families for its many cherished qualities:
- natural safe lather - no chemical foam enhancers! We’ve all become used to the huge amounts of foaming that commercial brands tell us we need. More foam, they say, equals better more luxurious cleansing. That’s just not true. I know it, you know it and it’s time to give your skin a break.
- gentle cleansing - safe for grandparents and grandchildren alike. Castile liquid soap is made from pure plant oils, making it perfect for all skin types, especially sensitive skin.
- versatile yet sensitive – whether you’re in the shower or bath you can use it for hands, face, feet, underarms and down below! I Am Natural castile body wash gently cleans everywhere, even sensitive areas!
- non-drying – castile liquid soap actually improves the moisture level in your skin, locking in moisture with its natural humectant glycerin content. Remember glycerin is a natural by-product of the soap making process that absorbs & holds water. It’s crazy that so many soap manufacturers discard it!
- Healing – unlike synthetic detergents, castile has natural antibacterial properties so it’s ideal for washing grazed, broken skin. Made with sunflower oil containing oleic acid (omega 9 fatty acid) also means that wound healing is super speedy!
- calms and soothes – you know how dry rough skin feels really uncomfortable and provokes constant fear of cracking and infection. The plant oils in castile liquid soap are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids that help replenish moisture, encouraging the growth of healthy supple skin that doesn’t flake.
- Revives dull skin – skin pores blocked by irritating synthetic soap can result in dull greasy blemished skin; washing with plant-based castile removes dead skin cells and lets your skin breathe. Say yes to clear bright skin!
- Beautiful aging – the sunflower oil in I Am Natural castile liquid contains rich antioxidants like Vitamin E. Use your soap regularly to slow the impact of skin cell degeneration and soften the appearance of wrinkles.
- Improves eczema – the linoleic acid in sunflower oil, commonly known at omega 6, contributes to cell and tissue strength whilst maintaining moisture. It also protects against bacteria and germs. I Am Natural castile liquid soap is free from synthetic chemicals, fragrance and colours that can irritate skin and cause eczema flare ups.
- Stress free – castile has a long safe shelf-life so you don’t need to worry about using it quickly, or the ingredients going ‘off’ or becoming toxic. At I Am Natural the castile blends are made in small batches so you always know you’re getting the freshest safest product for your skin.
- concentrated formula – a little goes a long way so you can enjoy your castile liquid soap for longer!
The ingredients in I Am Natural liquid castile body wash are simple and straightforward, and are:
- organically certified by the Soil Association.
- free from palm oil - organic castile doesn’t contain any palm oil or palm oil derivatives, the production of which is responsible for deforestation and harm to wildlife.
- 100% vegan
- Great for your skin!
Discover '10 Ways to use castile on your skin' and benefit from the natural goodness this amazing soap has to offer.
The best eco-choice for the planet
I love that castile soap is 100% vegan, cruelty-free, palm oil free, biodegradable and non-toxic. I love how versatile it is. Personally, I prefer a liquid castile over a solid bar of soap as it’s easier to administer and can be used not just for hands & body, but for so many DIY cleansing needs. That means one bottle for everything = less plastic! Given that an estimated third of landfill waste comes from personal care items, it’s a no brainer to cut on plastic.
You’ll be pleased as punch to know that castile liquid soap is:
- Organically certified and naturally good at cleansing without any harsh chemicals.
- Non-toxic & non-polluting – it’s safe to put down the drain & in septic tanks.
- Palm oil free – doesn’t contain any palm oil or palm oil derivatives, the production of which is responsible for deforestation and harm to wildlife.
- Low impact – traditional manufacture is low energy
- Less plastic – it’s concentrated so a little goes a long way.
- Less deliveries – you can buy less often in large bulk buy sizes to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Versatile – use it for hand, body, bath, clothes, dog, sink. Buy one product and clean everything!
Try it for yourself!
It’s okay if you've never been excited by soap before. But after reading this blog I hope you’ll agree just how different castile soap is and why I think everyone should try it. It's safe to say I’m quite passionate about the ‘sunshine in a bottle’ as I like to call it!
Few skincare products are as versatile as castile soap and as completely natural with no chemical additives or harsh detergents and help you cut down on your personal plastic waste.
Whether you want a safe way to bathe your children or grandchildren, or you want a better way to soothe your skin and clean your home, castile soap has all the safe eco-credentials you’re looking for.